Friday, December 18, 2009

Where the Limen Things Are

by Stacey Prince

I don’t know how many of you have seen Where the Wild Things Are, but I thought it was a wonderful film and a brilliant adaptation of one of my favorite childhood books. There are many ways to interpret the story. Some reviewers have seen it as a simple depiction of the conflicts of childhood, including loneliness, disempowerment, and sibling rivalry. Others see a Freudian portrayal of Oedipal jealousy (mom, separated from the protagonist’s father, has a new boyfriend and her attention is diverted away from her son Max). Still others see in the story a tale of colonialism and cultural imperialism (the dominant culture sends in a ‘king’ to tame the wild things and take over the land). But all I could think of as I watched the movie was our group, TJP (which as many of you know started out as Limen), and how it related to us.

To read entire article click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment